Join Virginia's Oldest Gun Rights Organization and Help Protect Virginia’s Firearms Freedoms
Member Benefits and Services
- Represents Virginia firearms owners;
- Defends the right to self-defense;
- Promotes safe gun ownership & use;
- Sanctions championship and other shooting competitions;
- Protects the hunting and shooting sports; and,
- Keeps you informed through the bi-monthly member publication, The Bullet, through legislative email alerts, and the E-Bullet email update.
- Discounts for selected VSSA Clinics.
With Your Membership in the VSSA You Will:
- Receive the informative bi-monthly member news publication, The Bullet. It’s educational and has the information you’ve asked for, want and need.
- Recevie the E-Bullet electronic news letter emailed almost weekly (be sure to sign up for email alerts to receive this benefit).
- Learn about the most recent voting records of political candidates - know who your pro-gun representatives are - it’s your valuable election guide.
- Obtain for Free a copy of your VSSA Member decal and membership card.
- Participate in VSSA supported State competitive shooting events.
- Protect your right to keep and use firearms - for sports, hobby, and peace of mind.
- Maintain your right to self-defense - protect yourself when no one else will.
- Honor America’s firearms heritage - It’s your constitutional legacy.
- Fight fanatical firearms restrictions - Your voice does make a difference.
- Promote and supports organized, competitive and recreational shooting activities.
- Have a full-time, salaried legislative advocate in Richmond during the General Assembly making sure your gun rights are protected.
- Support the only Virginia-based gun rights organization that not only protects your gun rights legislatively but promotes the Second Amendment and the shooting sports to new shooters so the next generation will enjoy the same freedom we currently enjoy.
- Support youth firearm activities such as the Virginia State Games Shooting Events, Junior State Championships and safety training.
VSSA has been instrumental in:
- Passage of HB940 and SB323 repealing Virginia's handgun rationing law known as "one gun-a-month." (2012)
- Passage of HB22 requiring localities to pass an ordinance specifically allowing them to engage in compensated confiscation ("gun buybacks") schemes, meaning that citizens will have a say before tax payer money can be spent on such schemes. (2012)
- Passage of HB754 and SB67 repealing the requirement that first time concealed carry permit holders submit fingerprints with their application. (2012)
- Passage of SB335 and HB505 repealing the ban on carrying concealed in restaurants like Applebees and Olive Garden that serve alcohol as well as food. (2010)
- Passage of SB 3 and HB 8 allowing conceal carry permit (CHP) holders to renew their permits by mail. (2010)
- Passage of Virginia’s Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) statute (SB744) of 1995
- Passage of Virginia’s full Pre-emption statue (HB 530)
- Passage of the first partial roll-back (HB404) of Virginia’s handgun rationing statute (one gun-a-month). HB 404 was introduced by VSSA member, Delegate Bill Janis.
- Passage of legislation (HB2282) to make it harder to close a gun range for noise. Again it was VSSA member Delegate Bill Janis that introduced this bill.
- Passage of legislation (HB 1302) abolishing provisions regulating sales and purchases in contiguous states.
- Passage of legislation prohibiting (HB 1150) a local government from adopting an ordinance governing the storage of firearms or ammunition
- Supreme Court Decisions in Heller vs. DC and McDonald vs. Chicago as a participant in the State Associations' Amicus Brief
Every year VSSA’s lobbying team works to:
- Protect gun shows and your right to sell parts of your privately owned firearms collection to other private citizens;
- Enhance Virginia’s Concealed Handgun Permit Statute to allow storage of your firearm in your car while you are parked in a parking lot at work or other location;
- Pass of “Castle Doctrine” legislation to put into law that you have the right to protect yourself in your home free from the fear that a criminal may sue you for doing so;
- Enhance Virginia’s range protection statute to fight attempts from anti-gunners who attempt to use noise complaints from anti-gun residents; and ,
- Protect Virginia’s pre-emption statute to prevent a patchwork of gun laws from one locality to the next
Other Reasons to Join VSSA
- VSSA joined 41 other state associations in filing one of 47 amicus briefs on behalf of the Respondent Richard Heller in the "D.C. Gun Ban Case" and Otis McDonald in "McDonald vs. Chicago";
- VSSA also promotes hunting. As part of our legislative efforts we work to protect all shooting sports from the anti-gun and anti-hunting crowd;
- VSSA annually sponsors one of the most successful charity shooting events of its type with the proceeds benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital;
- The larger our membership, the louder our voice when we go to the General Assembly to protect and secure YOUR gun rights;
- Legislators and elected officials understand numbers and when we tell them we are representing thousands of voters who own firearms and these gun owners vote, it has an impact on those officials;
- Join now and you can add your voice to thousands of Virginia gun owners who have already joined VSSA and help secure your rights for yourself and the next generation; and,
- Remember: VSSA is the firewall standing between your firearms freedoms and those who would take them away. And we need your help to win!